Invisalign is one of the best solutions for people who dont want to wear regular braces and would like to have a clear smile for certain occasions. The system is based on a series of aligners made of clear plastic, that can be removed from the teeth and than placed back again. A very elegant solution, thats for sure.
Ive used Invisalign too, so I can really vouch for its qualities. Instead of having metal braces or anything on my teeth, Id just wear the plastics and it wasnt a huge deal. Here were some of the things that really made me enjoy my Invisalign treatment:
- no more metal braces
- less discomfort
- better hygiene. I just took the trays out, cleaned my teeth, put them back in.
- better looks if I had to appear in a pic for instance, Id take my trays off and then put them back on, when it was all done.
- better diction as a radio DJ, having a lisp was not permitted. Invisalign gave me the freedom to be normal for 1 hour (my show was 1 hour) and then talk as I could.
The biggest problems I encountered were:
- it doesnt work as fast as a metal braces system. What Damon did in 4 weeks, Invisalign took at least double the time
- it had to rely solely on my self-control and discipline.
And I think this is the most important aspect we need to discuss in this article: DISCIPLINE!
You asked me how many hours a day should you wear your trays. My orthodontist told me I need to wear the Invisalign AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. It should stay on my teeth at least 20-22 hours. This means I can take it out to eat and clean my teeth and then put it back on.
I have personally done stupid things too, since discipline is not my strong trait. I had days when I forgot to put my Invisalign or wore the trays for 5-6 hours only. This didnt entirely ruin my treatment, but it put a brake on it. And, when I put the trays after HOURS of not wearing them, Id feel pain.
So, the best solution is to have it on as much as possible. Keeping my Invisalign on for as much as I could (small 3-4 minute breaks to brush my teeth and few minutes to eat), made my treatment super-easy and pleasant. My teeth got so used to the plastic that, when changing the tray every 2 weeks with a new one, made me pass the moment with little to no discomfort at all. Instead of being sore for at least 2 hours, Id just pop the new one and have a big smile on my face.
If you have enough discipline, youll be just fine with Invisalign. Dont forget, IT DEPENDS ON YOU. The longest time you can wear the trays in a given day, the better.